top of page
Branch being supported by a sculpture - Image by Neil Thomas

Need Help Now?

Page Title

Emergency Help

If you or someone close to you is in distress or immediate danger dial 000 as soon as possible.

Suicidal thoughts can occur to anyone at any point in their life. They are more common than you may realise. You may be feeling overwhelming pain, hopeless, worthless, isolated, or like there is no way out. While it is OK to have suicidal feelings, it is important to reach out and let someone know how you’re feeling. 

If you are having suicidal thoughts, you can reach out to the agencies below who have supportive, trained, professional staff and volunteers who are trained to listen deeply to what is happening for you, without passing judgment. 

You may also find other groups listed below who can assist and support you, depending on your own specific circumstances. 

If you don’t feel like you can call any of the above services, you can also:

  • talk to someone you trust

  • contact your GP, a counsellor, psychologist or psychiatrist

  • visit a hospital emergency department

Additional Resources and Support

If you are seeking further information about mental health conditions or how to support someone else, the Black Dog Institute has a wealth of resources. Here are some direct links you may find useful.

Help for children and families

If you are a young person, or family member or carer of a young person these resources are dedicated to children and adolescents.

Australia’s only free (even from a mobile), confidential 24/7 online and phone counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25.

headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation. We began in 2006, and ever since we’ve provided early intervention mental health services to 12-25-year-olds.  

for young people aged 12–25, with a focus on supporting their mental health and wellbeing through everyday issues and tough times.

Do you have a complaint about a health service?

Lived Experience Australia is a national systemic advocacy organisation. We are unable to assist individuals with complaints you may have about a service or provider, however the list below provides information on where you can lodge a complaint. 

National - Health Complaint Agencies

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency

For notifications about the conduct, health or performance of a practitioner or the health of a student.

Australian Information Commissioner

Previously the Privacy Commissioner, an independent national regulator for privacy and freedom of information.

Commonwealth Ombudsman (private health insurance)

If you have a complaint related to private health insurance. 

State & Territory - Health Complaint Agencies

The Australian Capital Territory Health Services Commissioner

Office of the Health Services Commissioner


Health and Community Services Complaints Commission

Health and Disability Services Complaints Office

Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner

The NSW Health Care Complaints Commission



Health Complaints Commissioner

bottom of page